In partnership with the Encore Fellowships Network at Encore.org
Need + Talent + Time. Since 2005 these components have been critical to the mission of the Center for Nonprofit Excellence at United Way of Central New Mexico. With greater needs than ever in central New Mexico and a wealth of talent and time emerging from Baby Boomers who are retiring from successful careers, the Central New Mexico Encore Fellowships Program will invest new resources in our community’s most promising nonprofit organizations.
Encore Fellows are seasoned private-sector professionals entering retirement who are sponsored by their companies and the community to bring their professional expertise and passion for excellence to high-impact, high-priority projects with Central New Mexico nonprofits that serve children, youth, and families at risk. Fellows take on roles that deliver significant, sustained impact to their nonprofit “host” organizations. During the Fellowship period (typically 1000+ hours over 6-12 months, half-time to full-time), Fellows earn a stipend, learn about nonprofit work, and develop a new network of contacts and resources for the future.
- Encore Fellowships are designed to bring significant value to all participants and build on the reputation of the Center for Nonprofit Excellence for developing effective, supportive relationships with nonprofits. Apply to be an Encore Fellow.
- Nonprofit organizations can undertake a high-impact project or organizational priority and gain affordable, low-risk access to experienced, skilled talent as Fellows transition into the social sector.
- Retiring or retired professionals can create a flexible, experiential pathway to social-purpose work and to make an immediate impact using the skills and experience they already have.
- Businesses and other sponsors can benefit in a variety of ways: through deeper employee or member engagement, positive affiliation with a high-impact community engagement, identifying and opening new markets, and improved grantee effectiveness.
- Communities can benefit directly by the impact of the Fellow’s work, and by the Fellow’s future engagement in the social sector. In the Encore.org’ 2009 Fellowship Network class, nearly 100% of participants have remained active as employees, volunteers, and/or Board members with the nonprofit/nonprofit sector.
- By deploying these skilled Fellows the Center for Nonprofit Excellence at United Way of Central New Mexico will produce additional positive impacts among the children, youth, and families at risk and in the broader nonprofit community. We will also gain the benefit of the Fellows’ and hosts’ collective experience, wisdom, and tools, which will help other nonprofits develop their capacity.
Encore.org, along with a small number of innovative corporations and nonprofit agencies, introduced the nationally recognized Encore Fellowship Program in 2009. In 2011, after two successful years in the San Francisco area, Encore.org expanded the program to eight new cities across the US. The Center for Nonprofit Excellence is pleased to be able to bring this program to central New Mexico as part of this expansion.
For more information on the Central New Mexico Fellows Program
- Review and print an Intel Encore Career Fellowships brochure
- Be an Encore Fellow
- Be a Work Host
- Be a Sponsor
- Contact Central New Mexico Program Director Amy Duggan, Amy.Duggan-at-uwcnm.org or 505-247-3671.