Description of the Volunteer Opportunity:
Purpose: Start and take responsibility for Dismas House greenhouse & garden; teach former offenders about gardening
- Teach one class a month on advantages and how-to's of gardening to men on probation or parole
- Coordinate the planting and upkeep of the greenhouse and garden
Who Will Be Impacted Through This Project:
Men and women returning back to the community after being released from prison or jail.
Is This an Ongoing Opportunity?:
Nonprofit Will Provide:
- A share of vegetables grown
- The knowledge that you are building bridges that connect returning citizens to the community.
- Use of agency tools, seeds, and other supplies
- The knowledge that you can help others lead healthier lives
Qualifications: Must be a green thumb with some gardening experience; a self-starter; and be comfortable talking in front of people
Time requirement: Class will be one hour, once a month; additional time in the garden (variable, depending how much help you get)