Help Create New Initiatives to End Hunger
Lend your voice to New Mexico's 5 Year Hunger Plan. On September 26, join End New Mexico Hunger for the 4th annual End Hunger in New Mexico Summit.
This year's summit features many exciting Keynote speakers:
* Roadrunner Foodbank - Melody Wattenbarger
* Valarie Trujillo - Bridges Over Poverty
* Carlos Navarro team-Interfaith Hunger Coalition- (Ellen Buelow, chair of our Advocacy Committee, will begin with an introduction and history of the Interfaith Hunger Coalition. the Baha'i community (Gabriela Marques), Catholic Charities (Kathy Freeze), Congregation Albert (Rachel Sternheim), and the Turkish Raindrop House/Dialogue Institute (Rabia Sahin Orhan).
* Senator Michael Padilla – speaking about his experience growing up in poverty and in foster care.
* Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham Office (She will be doing a short video for us because she will not be able to be there)
* Vanessa Wheeler- Girl Scouts of New Mexico Trails – Discussion of Native American girls learning to cook healthy and much more.
The afternoon will consist of four different panel discussions centered around goals of the 5-Year Hunger in New Mexico Plan:
Goal 1: Pair Data and Resources determining the most recent data regarding the hunger in New Mexico within the next 5 years.
Chairwoman: Elizabeth Yakes-Jimenez, Research Associate Professor, University of New Mexico
Goal 2: Engage and coordinate intergenerational feeding programs throughout the state of NM within the next 5 years.
Chairman: Anthony Futch, Program Manager, Senior Services Bureau
Goal 3: Increase access to conventional transportation throughout New Mexico within the next 5 years.
Chairman – Dennis T. Salazar, NCNMEDD
Goal 4: Increase participation among teachers, parents and counselors in the schools to participate in the Hunger Summit and advocate to work on hunger issues in their schools.
Chairwoman: Patricia Kean, Associate Scientist- Nutrition Prevention Research Center