Connecting Youth & Elders.
The ABQ Volunteers Advisory Board is helping to design and implement Albuquerque’s First Annual One ABQ Challenge and they need your input!
The One ABQ Challenge formally launches on August 1st with Mayor and First Lady Keller asking individuals and organizations across the City to make time to engage in some form of community service in August related to this year’s theme, “Connecting Youth and Elders.” The goal is to have projects that reflect our city’s creativity and diversity while fulfilling community needs.
The Challenge is intended to encourage and celebrate individuals and organizations that are using their time and resources to make a meaningful difference on their block, within their neighborhood, and across the City as a whole. The aim is to excite and inspire volunteers of all ages and connect with organizations doing amazing work that are in need of volunteers and resources year-round. There are many ways individuals, families, neighborhoods, organizations, and businesses can get involved:
• Coordinate a service project for your friends, neighbors, organization or business
• Coordinate a service project for the broader community
• Volunteer for an existing project (ABQ Volunteers website will list opportunities needing volunteers)
• Engage from home
• Challenge your friends, family, teammates, and co-workers to get involved
• Document projects taking place through pictures and video
• Tell everyone how you are rising to the One ABQ Challenge using #ThisIsABQ
• Share the impact of your work using the One ABQ Challenge form
• Donate directly to an organization working to connect youth and elders
• Host a supply drive or fundraiser for an organization working to connect youth and elders
• Join us for the One ABQ Celebration 12-5pm on August 12th on Civic Plaza.
This fun, family-friendly event is a time for our city to come together for an afternoon of local music, food trucks, and free kids’ activities. It will be an opportunity to learn more about the One ABQ Challenge and connecting with organizations working year-round to better our communities.
• Coordinate and staff a booth at the One ABQ Celebration to engage families, share information about the work your organization does year-round to connect youth and elders and solicit volunteers and/or donations
• Sponsor the One ABQ Celebration
2018 Service Challenge Timeline
Service Challenge Launch (August 1): The Mayor and First Lady formally launch the Service Challenge by asking individuals and groups all across the City to engage in some form of community service in August related to Connecting Youth and Elders. Each participant is then encouraged to share (via email, social media, a letter, or word-of-mouth) what they are doing to connect youth and elders in our City and challenge others to step up and engage in some sort of service as well. Participants and projects will be highlighted throughout the month on social media as well as in public spaces like community centers and libraries.
Celebration of Community Service (August 12): The City will host an afternoon Celebration of Community Service on Civic Plaza. This family friendly celebration will be an opportunity for our City to:
Service Challenge Close (August 31): The month-long Service Challenge wraps up at the end of August with stories highlighted online and in public spaces about the many ways Albuquerque rose to the challenge… in true “One Albuquerque” fashion.
The ABQ Board continues to work closely with the Mayor’s staff to plan this event in regards to outreach, logistics, celebration, and follow up. Now is the time for nonprofits to participate early in the building of the month-long Challenge. By filling out the survey you will help us prepare for the August event, support your efforts in the Challenge, and prepare for the upcoming Spring 2019 event (Yes, there will be another Challenge event soon!).
The survey consists of questions regarding level of interest in participation in both the challenge and the celebration, ways in which organizations would like to participate, the support organizations might need, as well as contact information. Please take approximately 10 minutes to fill out this survey by June 15, 2018