Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts
During disasters, Feeding America food banks like ours are often called upon to assist and collect funds and food to provide to affected areas. Currently, we along with additional Feeding America food banks across the country, are encouraging the community to help in any of the following ways:
1. The most effective way to help is to donate funds directly to any of the Feeding America food banks in the affected areas including:
- Food Bank of Corpus Christi
- Food Bank of the Golden Crescent
- Houston Food Bank
- Southeast Texas Food Bank
- San Antonio Food Bank
2. Donate funds to Feeding America as they coordinate and monitor disaster needs with the American Red Cross, NVOA, FEMA, and affected food banks in the area.
3. For those wishing to donate food items, below includes a list of requested items needed in the area. Roadrunner Food Bank has partnered with Bernalillo County who has set up food collection sites throughout the county for the month of September (see below). Food donations may also be brought to Roadrunner Food Bank during business hours. Please note, our fleet doesn’t have the capacity to pick up food donations. Please clearly mark and indicate food donations are for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
All donated product for this effort will be held in reserve until requested by the affected food banks or Feeding America. Any remaining items will be distributed through our statewide hunger-relief efforts.
Our staff will coordinate transportation of donated product as requested by Feeding America when and if the affected food banks call upon us.
- Hand-held snack items such as granola bars
- Pop-top ready-to-eat items
- Shelf-stable pantry items such as peanut butter, tuna and soup
- Bottled water
- Cleaning supplies (bleach, non-bleach, paper towels, etc.)
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.)
Bernalillo County Food Collection Sites:
- All BernCo community centers
- County Manager’s Office, One Civic Plaza, 10th floor
- Treasurer’s Office, One Civic Plaza, basement level
- Court of Wills, Estates and Probate, Once Civic plaza, 6th floor
- BernCo office at Union Square Building, 111 Union Sq. St. SE
- Public Works Division, 2400 Broadway Blvd. SE
- Sheriff’s Department Headquarters, 400 Roma Ave. NW, 4th floor
- All Area Command Centers
- Fire Department Headquarters, Atrium Building, 6840 2nd St. NW
- Metropolitan Detention Center, 100 Deputy Dean Miera Drive SW
- East Mountain Transfer Station, 711 Highway 333 (old Route 66)
Outside Bernalillo County – Food Drop Locations
- Gallup – Community Food Pantry
- Santa Fe – The Food Depot
- Farmington – ECHO Food Bank
- Clovis – Food Bank of Eastern New Mexico
- Dona Ana County – El Paso Food Bank
Food companies wishing to provide tractor-trailer load donations, should contact our Food Rescue Manager, Andy Knowlton, to coordinate full trailer loads of donated food items.
Note: Given we are an emergency food responder, Road Runner Food Bank is unable to accept donations of clothing.