Many Mothers contributes to a healthy and vital Santa Fe community by providing free, in-home support to any Santa Fe family with a newborn.
Many Mothers is a FREE home-visiting option for mothers with newborns. Care is provided by skilled volunteers including a lactation consultant, nurses, doulas, midwives, teachers, social-workers and experienced mothers/grandmothers. These women become "extended family" to help relieve mothers' isolation, exhaustion and feelings of being overwhelmed.
* Home-visiting – Many Mothers is available for ANY Santa Fe mother for 3-9 months
* Physical support: childcare and household tasks to give the mother respite
* Emotional support: active listening, understanding and sharing of common experiences that validate the normalcy of a mother’s mixed emotions
* Education on lactation and other mothering concerns
* Modeling good parenting skills and addressing family-specific issues
* Fostering the mother/child bond and healthy family relationships by relieving stress on the family
* Referrals for additional support when necessary
* Many Mothers Circle: Monthly educational presentations and peer support for moms
* Pay It Forward Program: Distribution of gently used baby and maternity items
* Spanish-speaking community outreach: Bi-lingual volunteers
* Program Replication: Our manual “How to Develop a Volunteer Service for Families with Newborns” and helps groups wishing to develop programs outside Santa Fe.
Lucy W. Newman, Board President