Mesilla Valley Habitat for Humanity
Mesilla Valley Habitat for Humanity works in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and people everywhere, from all walks of life, to develop communities with people in need by building simple, decent homes in Las Cruses where people can live and grow into all that God intended.
Interested families can sign up year round. However, applications are currently being sent out once a year; usually in the fall.
Below is the general outline of how the application process works:
• You must be a U.S. citizen/ or have a legal status
• It is a 1-3 yr process from application to move-in
• You must have good credit (this is judged on an individual basis, type of debt)
• Families must complete up to 500 sweat equity hours
• If selected, you will pay a regular mortgage payment with 0% interest
o Includes taxes and insurance
o Mortgage payments are usually $550/ monthly
o $500 down payment due before move-in
How families are selected
• Need for improved housing
• Living conditions, neighborhood, size of shelter are some of the areas looked at to determine need.
Ability to pay
• A stable work and income history
• An income that falls within the guidelines below- How many people will live in the house?
• Good credit history
Willingness to partner
• Willing to participate in Habitat requirements and activities.
• Willing to contribute your time (called Sweat Equity hours) to build a Habitat home(s).