Help domestic violence victims gain immediate safety plus knowledge, skills and resources to succeed in lives free of violence.
Our organization provides:
- A 24-hour crisis hotline.
- Emergency shelter, meals, personal care items, and clothing as needed, for women and children.
- Individual in-depth service assessments for women and children in shelter.
- Legal advocacy for women and, occasionally, men who are DV victims—information about the court system; help in obtaining orders of protection, help in preparing for court hearings, and referrals to and advocacy with attorneys for DV-related family law issues such as child custody and support and divorce.
- In-shelter and out-of-shelter support groups for women—information on the dynamics of violent relationships, discussions of healthy relationships, understanding why it is so difficult to leave, assertiveness skills, DV’s effects on children who are DV witnesses/victims, building self-esteem, etc.
- Case management—assessment of needs, assistance with personal goals, and referrals to other social services agencies (such as transitional housing).
- Individual therapeutic counseling for women and children, including some not currently in shelter.
- Educational/therapeutic/recreational activities for children in shelter and those who, with their mothers, attend out-of-shelter support groups.
- Community education and outreach on the topic of domestic violence and on Haven House services in particular.