Think New Mexico
Think New Mexico is an independent, nonpartisan, results-oriented think tank serving New Mexicans. Our mission is to improve the quality of life for all New Mexicans, especially those who lack a strong voice in the political process.
Think New Mexico fulfills its mission by educating the public, the media, and policymakers about some of the most serious problems facing New Mexico and by developing and advocating for effective, comprehensive, sustainable solutions to those problems. Our approach is to perform and publish sound, nonpartisan, independent research. Unlike many think tanks, Think New Mexico does not subscribe to any particular ideology. Instead, because New Mexico is at or near the bottom of so many national rankings, our focus is on promoting workable solutions. Think New Mexico measures its success based on changes in law or policy that we help to achieve. Our results include:
- making full-day kindergarten accessible to every child in New Mexico
- repealing the state's regressive tax on food
- creating a Strategic River Reserve to protect and restore New Mexico's rivers
- establishing New Mexico's first state-supported Individual Development Accounts to alleviate the state's persistent poverty
- redirecting millions of dollars a year out of the state lottery's excessive operating costs and into full-tuition college scholarships
- reforming title insurance to lower closing costs for homebuyers and homeowners who refinance their mortgages
Please visit our website for more information on the initiatives Think New Mexico is currently working on.