Down Syndrome Foundation of Southeastern New Mexico
The mission of the Down Syndrome Foundation of Southeastern New Mexico, is to provide support and education to all individuals with Down syndrome and their families. Our goal is to help individuals with Down syndrome and their families reach any goal they dream.
• New Parent & Expectant Parent Packets-If we are contacted by a prospective parent or learn of them we send them a packet and offer to make a home visit. The timing is crucial.
• First Call Program -We have Release forms at some of the surrounding hospitals so medical professionals can forward the news of a new baby on to us and we can contact the parents.
• Lending Library-Located at our office is a variety of books and videos parents or professionals can check out to learn more about specific issues related to Down syndrome.
• Buddy Walk-During the month of October which is national Down syndrome awareness month we host the Roswell Buddy Walk to raise awareness about Down syndrome.
• The Learning Program-This is an educational program we offer for parents and children between the ages of 4 and 12 to focus on best learning practices and promote reading and math.
• Parent Support Group-These community groups meet regularly to provide interaction and support to parents raising children with Down syndrome.
• Parents & Schools in Partnership-This is a new program, which will launch during the 2009/2010 school year to help create collaborative teams between parents and school districts to better educated students.
• The Light – Quarterly Newsletter