The Adoption Exchange
The Adoption Exchange provides the connection between children who wait and families who adopt. The Adoption Exchange recruits families for children waiting in the New Mexico foster care system. The Adoption Exchange envisions a world in which all children grow up in safe, permanent homes.
Principal programs of The Adoption Exchange are:
* Family Recruitment through a variety of effective and innovative activities. The Adoption Exchange recruits potential adoptive families and supports them through the process of adopting children from the foster care system.
* The Education Center, which provides training and knowledge to permanency planning professionals and foster and adoptive families.
* Post-Adoption Services for adoptive families, including information, resources, and support. The primary adoptive parent support project is the publication of a quarterly newsletter The Chosen that is distributed to more than 2,000 adoptive families in New Mexico.
Children and families are served through community outreach, media, and web-based recruitment activities. Of the 142 New Mexico children served in fiscal year 2008-2009:
* 83% were eight years or older
* 61% were male, 39% female
* 70% were children of color
* 30% were sibling groups of two or more
All children served are impoverished and have no income to report; they are in the custody of the State of New Mexico.
Dixie Van de flier Davis