Johnny O. Perea Foundation for Asbestos Education and Relief
Educating homeowners throughout New Mexico is key to increasing the awareness about the dangers of asbestos exposure. There is no known safe level of exposure to asbestos. We prevent cancer by dealing with the cause.
► The first step towards illness prevention is to make the public aware of the dangers of asbestos, while providing people with general information about the hazardous material and safe ways to handle it.
* Provide information about the hazard
* Provide a list of materials that typically contain asbestos
* Provide a list of do’s and don’ts for handling asbestos materials
* Conduct educational outreach through all mass media
► People can avoid exposure to asbestos by knowing where asbestos containing materials are in their homes.
* Inspect for damage
* Identity materials that will be affected during renovation, remodeling, and/or repairs
* Collect test samples for processing by an accredited laboratory