For years the IRS has struggled with the independent contractor and tax collection. In assessing opportunities to close the tax gap (taxes due but not reported or paid), one of the greatest opportunities comes from expanding the information reporting on taxpayers by payors - the 1099.
Areas Covered in the Session:
- Starter Question: How can we best set up an independent contractor in our vendor payment system to ensure compliance with the IRS reporting rules?
- Protocols for setting up new vendors (ICs)
- When to require a Form W-9
- How to test the accuracy of the W-9 information with the IRS's records - for free!
- Who and what you pay determines whether you must report (1099 reporting)