A New Generation of Policy Analysts. Economic uncertainty, poverty, low graduation rates and climate change are among the challenges facing the state of...
Anonymous Reviews of Foundations. GrantAdvisor.org is a new website that allows for anonymous reviews of foundations, a critical missing piece in...
We've included many resources here to help nonprofits with their evaluation needs.
Overview of Evaluation
- Evaluation and Measurement of Outcomes- article by the National Council of Nonprofits
- Types of Evaluation- Chart by the Center for Disease Control
Evaluating the Initiative - toolkit with examples by Community Tool Box
Nonprofit Performance Management: Using Data to Measure and Improve Programs - report with case studies by Idealware, August 2014
Basic Guide to Program Evaluation - information, guidelines and templates by Free Management Library
- 2010 User Friendly Handbook for Project Evaluation - covers the value of evaluation and how to design and carry out an evaluation by the National Science Foundation
- Effective Nonprofit Evaluation: Through a "Community of Learners" - briefing paper on evaluation design and implementation by Chantell Johnson and Allison Crean
- Program Development and Evaluation - templates and examples from the University of Wisconsin
A Practical Guide for Engaging Stakeholders in Developing Evaluation Questions - assists evaluators and clients to increase the value and usefulness of evaluation by H. Preskill and N. Jones, Robert Wood Johnson
The ABCs of Evaluation: Timeless Techniques for Program and Project Managers - book by John Boulmetis and Phyllis Dutwin ($)
Trying Hard is Not Good Enough, How to Produce Measurable Improvements for Customers and Communities - book about Results Based Accountability by Mark Friedman ($)
Performance Management in Complex, Place-Based Work article by Patricia Auspos, Anne C. Kubisch, The Aspen Institute
- Introducing the Impact Genome Project - article by Jason Saul and Matt Groch, Stanford Social Innovation Review, April 9, 2014
- Measuring Impact Isn't for Everyone - article by Mary Kay Gugerty and Dean Karlan, Stanford Social Innovation Review, April 2, 2014
Collective Impact Evaluation
- Guide to Evaluating Collective Impact - three part guide with case studies and sample questions, outcomes and indicators by Hallie Preskill, Marcie Parkhurst, and Jennifer Splansky Juster, Collective Impact Forum, 2014
- Evaluating Collective Impact: Five Simple Rules - article by Mark Cabaj, The Philanthropist, Volume 26, 1, 2014
- Framing Paper: The State of Network Evaluation - two part guide to network evaluation by Network Impact and Center for Evlauation Innovation, July 2014
Program Evaluation Software
- Understanding Software for Program Evaluation - paper with overviews of the types of software that can assist with a technology-based program evaluation strategy by Elizabeth Pope, Laura Quinn, Chris Bernard, Kyle Henri Andrei, and Tyler Cummins, Idealware
- Charting Impact - helps nonprofits create standardized reports clarifying their goals and accomplishments. The information is linked to your organization's GuideStar profile.
- Community Solutions Planning & Evaluation - articles, tools and trainings on planning and evaluation by Community Solutions
Outcome Indicators Project - framework for tracking performance provided by the Urban Institute and the Center for What Works
Outcome Mapping - methodology for planning, monitoring and evaluating development initiatives by Better Evaluation